Directors' Education & Accreditation Program (DEAP)
October 9-11, 2018
Sheraton Centre, Toronto,ON
The DEAP welcomes experienced and newly appointed directors with management or professional experience. Participants are drawn from a mix of backgrounds including public, Crown and not-for-profit corporations.
Before the session
DEAP is a sharply focused program, delivering critical content in 4 areas, Governance, Finance, Strategy and Risk Management in a condensed period of time. When you register for DEAP, you will receive material 3 weeks in advance of the session to be reviewed ahead time – one document for each of the modules.
During the Session
The workshop will be three days in duration and will be a mix of presentations, discussions, case studies and a quiz (completed in class) for each module. The open session provides a unique opportunity to learn about many different sectors; come prepared to share your experiences and perspectives with the group!
Each day begins at 8:00am with a light breakfast. We break for a provided lunch from 12-1pm and the sessions conclude at 4:30pm. Assessments are done in class, click here for more information on the subjects to be covered.
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018 - Governance with John Dinner
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - Finance with Rick Giel
- Thursday, October 11, 2018 - Risk and Strategy with Lee Haldeman
After the session
Upon successful completion and Board approval, you will be awarded the Accredited Director designation (Acc.Dir.) and receive membership in our Affiliate Group for the remainder of the calendar year. As an Affiliate Group member, you will have a subscription to Corporate Governance Quarterly, our premier publication on good governance practice; access to special rates for seminars, workshops and other continuing professional development opportunities; and the same benefits package extended to our professional members.
Although no formal Professional Development hours are currently required, certification is maintained through continuous annual membership.
Click here to register before Friday, August 31, 2018 and save $250 - $3,750 ($4,237.50 HST included)
Click here to register after Friday, August 31, 2018 before before the Friday, September 21, 2018 deadline - $4,000 ($4,520.00 HST included)
To register by fax or mail, please click here to access the fill-able word form.
Need a room? We may be negotiating a group rate with the hosting property. If you would like a room, please contact Christina with the dates you would like secured.
John Dinner, FCIS, Consultant, Board Governance Services
For more than 16 years, John T. Dinner Board Governance Services has been helping clients across sectors and across Canada achieve their organizational objectives through excellence in board governance. Board members and organizational leaders value John Dinner’s insights, practical approach and ability to facilitate needed governance change or transformation.
In addition to helping boards improve their governance structures and processes, John is keenly adept at fostering trust and confidence in the sharing of power and authority between boards and those to whom they give oversight.
John uses his unique boardroom experience and expertise to help boards to deliver on their accountabilities to promote organizational strength, viability and effectiveness through critical governance processes:
- setting the organization’s strategic priorities;
- monitoring the implementation of these priorities;
- providing management oversight; and,
- reporting to stakeholders on their stewardship.
John’s hands-on, in-the-trenches board work helped develop and refine leading edge governance practices, including director recruitment, board education, meeting effectiveness and best practices, information management and decision-making, and board and director performance evaluations. He knows and understands the needs of directors, trustees, councilors and other organizational leaders first-hand.
John Dinner is:
John also brings relevant knowledge and expert presentation and facilitation skills to board consulting, training and development.
- a founding member of The Directors College faculty (McMaster University);
- a regular conference presenter and workshop leader;
- a recipient of the National Award in Governance;
- a contributor to the Joint Committee on Corporate Governance; and,
- a widely published author and media spokesperson on board topics.
Richard Giel, Acc.Dir., CPA, CA, Consultant
Richard (Rick) is a Chartered Accountant with over 30 years’ experience in financial accounting and reporting. Subsequent to obtaining his designation at Deloitte LLP, Rick held senior financial and operational management positions with Reuters, Maclean Hunter, Rogers Communications and CNW Group.
For the past eight years, he has provided consulting services, primarily as Chief Financial Officer, to publicly traded and private resource companies. Previous clients include Nu Energy Uranium, NiCo Mining Limited, AimPowergen, Swala Resources, Red Crescent Resources, Polar Star Mining Corporation and Yamana Gold.
Lee Haldeman, FCIS
Lee served in senior executive positions at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) from 1999 until 2015. He held a variety of positions including the Dean of the School of Information and Communications Technologies, Associate Vice-president Academic Development and Vice-president Academic. Prior to his SAIT experience Lee was a principal and director of three private educational institutions in South Africa, all of which provided classes for ICSA candidates.
Educational and professional background:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration from Durham University in England
• Institute of Marketing Management three-year diploma
• ICSA four-year program
• Additional courses include the Management and Leadership in Education program at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, the National Executive Leadership Institute through the Association of Canadian Community Colleges, and the Chief Financial Officers program through the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta
• Currently a Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Management Accountant (Ontario) and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
• Past Fellow of the South African Institute of Management and past Member of the Institute of Marketing Management
A few relevant examples of service to the professions in a variety of capacities:
• Board and regional chair of the South African Institute of Management (SAIM)
• Board Chair of the Alberta Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, and ex officio a Director of ICSA Canada
• Education Board member SAIM where he was responsible for the complete revision of their qualifications
• Education Board member of ICSA in South Africa and Canada
• National examiner in multiple disciplines and currently serves as chief examiner for ICSA Canada in Strategy in Practice
• Member of the ICSA international task team for the review of the new Development of Strategy course which will be one of the courses in the restructured International Qualifying Scheme
Although Lee’s educational background is more focused on business, accounting and corporate governance, his current interests are related to the transformation of public post-secondary organizations to better meet evolving learner needs and changing environments while more effectively utilizing the funds entrusted to our institutions by government, partners and learners. He is also actively supporting the development of entrepreneurial and business skills in the SME sector.
Looking for your feedback on the Corporate Governance Quarterly (CGQ)! Click here to access the 5 minute survey, thank you for your thoughts!
Post your employment opportunities with ICSA! Click here to learn more.
Attention Members: Click here to learn more about your TD Insurance discount.
Have you met your CPD hours for the year? Click here to learn more about ICSA CPD requirements for Associates and Fellows.